Ahoy me mateys Captain Cats here, and today I’m going to give you a mini history lesson on one of DC most underrated comic series and team, and they are THE DOOM PATROL. This will give you a good idea on what and who the team is before the series premiere on February 15 on the DC Universe.
DOOM PATROL was created by Arnold Drake, Bob Haney, and Bruno Premiani in June of 1963 and was first introduced in My Greatest Adventure # 80. DOOM PATROL was made up of The Chief, Elastic-Girl, Negative Man, and Robotman who were all the founding members. They were known as “A Team of Superpowered misfits regarded as freaks by the world at large.” Unlike other DC superheroes at the time, DOOM PATROL was the first to see the team not only fight with each other, but each team member had to deal with their own personal problems.
The teams rogues gallery was as strange and crazy as they were and they were:
- General Immortus, an immortal general with knowledge of military tactics of centuries past.
- The Brain, a disembodied brain who leads the Brotherhood of Evil with his gorilla bodyguard Monsieur Mallah.
- Madame Rouge, a woman who can change her look and imitate anyone.
- Scissormen, who have the ability to cut people out of reality.
Over the years the DOOM PATROL also had new members who were as odd and crazy themselves with their powers such as:
- Crazy Jane, who has 64 different personalities, each with their own superpower.
- Dorothy Spinner, who can bring her imaginary beings to life.
- Danny the Street, a sentient street.
- Flex Mentallo, a muscle man who can affect reality by flexing his muscles.
So there you go, that’s DOOM PATROL in a nutshell, after you watch the series and want to read any of the DOOM PATROL comics, start with their first run, and if you’re going to read more, read Grant Morrison’s run on the series, which the original creators call it the best run they have seen.