Ahoy Captain Cats here and this week we have a Comic News Round-Up!
Marvel announced during its Star Wars Comic panel at New York Comic-Con that they will tie up all the loose ends and relaunch the Star Wars comics in January. According to Screen Rant that the relaunch will focus on what happens after Empire Strike Back to Return of the Jedi, the period between both films. I think this is a smart move because these stories can answer a lot of questions that were left unanswered in the films.
Random House Graphic has an official release date for their first books Runaway Princess on January 21, 2020. According to The Hollywood Reporter that RHG is the new kids’ comic imprint from Penguin Random House, one of the largest publishers in the world. During its NYCC panel at the New York Public Library, they announced the first four books to be published and they are:
- Aster and the Accidental Magic by Thom Pico and Karensac
- The Runaway Princess by Johan Troianowski
- Witchlight by Jessi Zabarsky
- Bug Boys by Laura Knetzger
During the DC House of Horrors panel, a huge announcement was revealed that The Dreaming story supervisor Simon Spurrier will be leaving the series after issue 18 and also introduce the new creative team for The Dreaming which is writer G. Willow Wilson and artist Nick Robles. According to CBR that Wilson will be finishing up her run on Wonder Woman soon and will start to work on this series.
Lastly, The 2019 Harvey Awards took place over the weekend at the NYCC and here is the list of this year’s winners, Hall of Fame Inductees and Comics Industry Pioneer Award:
- Book of the Year: Hey Kiddo by Jarrett J. Krosoczka
- Digital Book of the Year: Check, please by Ngozi Ukazu
- Best Children’s or Young Adult Book: Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up With Me by Mariko Tamaki and Rosemary Valero-O’Connell (First Second)
- Best Manga: My Hero Academia by Kohei Horikoshi (VIZ Media)
- Best European Book: Waves by Ingrid Chabbert and Carole Maurel (Archaia)
- Best Comics Adaptation: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Columbia Pictures and Sony Pictures Animation, based on Spider-Man (Marvel Entertainment)
- Hall of Fame Inductees: Will Elder, Jack Davis, John Severin, Marie Severin, Ben Oda, Alison Bechdel, Mike Mignola
- Comics Industry Pioneer Award: Maggie Thompson
Congratulations to all the winners and that is your comic news round-up.