Ahoy Me Mateys Captain Cats here! Osamu Tezuka, aka “The Father of Manga” released a manga series in 1967 which was different to his other work before such as Kimba the White Lion(1950) and Astro Boy(1952) and that series was Dororo.
Dororo is a thriller/action/horror story about Hyakkimaru, a ronin, and Dororo, an orphan thief who are on a quest to kill 48 demons. The series takes place during the Sengoku period and start off with Haykkimaru’s father made a pact with 48 sealed demons that if he gave them his unborn child to them, then we can rule the known world at that time. When Hyakkimaru was born, he was born without everything a baby needs to live. After his mother sent him down a river and was founded by a doctor who made him a body, he would later set off on an epic quest to kill all 48 demons to regain what was taken from him with the help of Dororo who he meets during his journey.
The series was turned into an animated TV series and ran from April to September of 1969 with a total of 26 episodes. It wasn’t until years later Dororo was made into a video game by Sega in 2004 with the same name and storyline, but the rest of the world the game was titled ‘Blood Will Tell.’ In 2007 a live action adaptation with the same name and storyline and that one was ok, not great but it was ok.
- Kazuhiro Furuhashi (Rorouni Kenshin) will be directing the series
- Yasuko Kobayashi ( JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure) will be the series Composition
- MAPPA and Tezuka Production will be doing the Animation production
- Twin engine will be doing the Production
- Satoshi Iwaki (Ghost Hun) will be doing the Character Design
- Hiroyuki Asada (The Girl in Twilight) will be doing the Character draft
- Ikehiro Ike (The Empire of Corpses) will be making the music
The series will be exclusively on Amazon in both Japan and overseas and be available to watch in January of 2019.
What do you think of this take of Dororo? Will you be watching it? Let us know!